How to Backup an SQL Database Using Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express
- Backup SQL Database to .bak Format
- Obtain .bak File for Migrating to Clio
- Backing up SQL
- Local Server
- SQL Database
- Microsoft Server Management Studio Express
- Must have direct access to the local server desktop
- Must have Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express installed and running on the server prior to the export.
Please note that the success of any data migration depends primarily on the quality of the data set provided to us. Before attempting to migrate your information into Clio, you should ensure that your data is consistently formatted, well organized, sufficiently backed up, and stored securely. If you are not certain, it is recommended that you consult with your Clio representative before proceeding
- Open SQL Server Management Studio Express and connect to the SQL server.
- Expand Databases.
- Right-click on the database you want to back up, then select Tasks > Back up. (This is not available for version 2018/2019)
- On the Back Up Database window, make sure the Database field contains the name of the database you want to back up.
- Select the Backup Type. By default, it is Full - leave it set to that.
- Click Remove to remove the default/last backup file name.
- Click Add to open the Select Backup Destination window.
- Click [...] next to the File Name field.
- On the Locate Database Files window, select the folder where you want the backup file to go. By default, it is ..\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup.
- In the File Name field, type the name for this backup, with a .bak extension. For example, xyz_20080221.bak for a backup of the XYZ database created on 21 February 2008.
- Click OK to close the Locate Database Files window.
- Click OK to close the Select Backup Destination window.
- Click OK to start the backup. The progress icon displays in the lower-left corner, and a ‘completed successfully’ message displays when it's done.